Followers

Posted by : Kinsey Book Reviewer 8.17.2015

What began the process for this book? Why did you have to write it?
I was sixteen when I first read Herodotus for my GCE ‘A’ Levels, I found holes in his otherwise
excellent story of the Persian invasion and I felt I could fill in those by telling my own story of
how a woman organized the Greek resistance. Why did I have to write it? Because of the movie
300 which, although visually spectacular, was historically inaccurate, one-sided and bordering
on the racist. I thought an alternative story to the one in the ‘300’ needed to be told.

Did you always think you were going to be an author?
Not until four years ago when I actually started to work on this novel. Until then, I had no idea
this would happen. My only publication until then was an academic article which published a
couple of years earlier which actually came out in Danish – a language I do not speak.

What books/authors have influenced you the most?
In this case, both fiction and non-fiction authors have influenced my work. Cambridge
University’s Professor Paul Cartledge’s seminal works on Sparta and the books by my former
instructor, Professor Barry Strauss of Cornell University provided the historical basis for this
novel and the non-fiction style was influenced by novelists such as Bernard Cornwell, Steven
Pressfield, Elizabeth Chadwick and Philippa Gregory.

What do you enjoy doing when you aren't writing or promoting a current book?
Reading historical non-fiction; almost any type of history.
Now's where you can share your social media links (blog, website, facebook, twitter, etc).
https://twitter.com/TheQueenofSpart
https://www.facebook.com/thequeenofsparta

Now just a bit of fun stuff:
People might be surprised to know I like....
To travel...all over the world.

What is the last book you read?
“Marlborough” by Correlli Barnett

What is the last movie you've watched? Was it at the movies or at home?
300 Rise of an Empire – on iTunes

If you could be any fictional character from any book, who would you be and why?
William Marshall from Elizabeth Chadwick’s “The Greatest Knight” and “The Scarlet Lion.”

What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you?
Write about current affairs.

Leave a Reply

Your comments are very appreciated. Replies will be left on blog & not via personal email ♥

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © A Book, A Beer, & A Dream - Hatsune Miku - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -