Followers

Posted by : Kinsey Book Reviewer 8.26.2015

1) So, first, tell us about your book.
‘Slippers in the Oven’ tells the story of Emma, a career woman who steals the husband of her
younger sister Ann, a stay-at-home mother. An inexcusable act which causes them to become
estranged for many years. Reunited at his funeral, they impulsively decide to take a cruise
together. Whilst enjoying new experiences and the amusing antics of their fellow passengers,
they make the heart-warming journey towards reconciliation and forgiveness.

2) What began the process for this book? Why did you have to write it?
I wanted to examine the contemporary topic of the mother in the home versus the career wife. It
was an issue for me and remains an issue for my daughter and her friends. It was a compelling
idea that I knew would make an engaging story.

3) Did you always think you were going to be an author?
I had no idea I was going to become an author or how I was going to express the ideas that I
had.

4) What books/authors have influenced you the most?
Marilynne Robinson for her exquisite descriptive powers, use of language and subtle plotting
as well as the courage to take twenty years to write her second book after her first became a
best seller. At the opposite extreme, Jodi Picoult for her courageous use of the chic lit style to
explore significant and heavyweight subjects, not to mention her formidable output.

5) What is your typical day like?
When I am working on a book, I write-walk-eat, write-walk-eat, write-walk-eat from early in
the morning until late at night. I also cook, mainly casseroles as I get ideas when I am chopping
vegetables. I am very unsociable.

 6) What do you enjoy doing when you aren't writing or promoting a current book?
I make up for the times I am writing intensely, by being very sociable, both entertaining and
visiting. I travel, catch up with theatre and film, and walking along the Thames tow path
further than I allow myself to when I should be working.

Now just a bit of fun stuff:

8) People might be surprised to know I like....
Computers! Because I am so hopeless at them!

9) What is the last book you read?
‘One Night in Winter’ by Simon Sebag Montefiore.

10) What is the last movie you've watched? Was it at the movies or at home?
‘Night Crawler’ with Jake Gyllenhaal. It was at a private screening.

11) If you could be any fictional character from any book, who would you be and why?
Lara from ‘Dr Zhivago’ because I am fascinated by pre-revolutionary Russia as well as the
idea of having that ONE GREAT LOVE you sacrifice everything for!

12) What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you?
I don’t worry about how people judge me so there is nothing I would be doing differently for
that reason.

 13) Anything else you'd like to include/mention?
 Apparently, as I have now published two books, I am allowed to call myself author on my
passport! That gives me great pleasure!

Leave a Reply

Your comments are very appreciated. Replies will be left on blog & not via personal email ♥

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © A Book, A Beer, & A Dream - Hatsune Miku - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -